GO SPORTS’ 2020 SPORTS WISH LIST
Being an Olympic year, the most obvious wish for any Malaysian would be for our national athletes to end the Olympic gold medal drought. However, we hope that the following wish list comes true so that we can truly be a sporting nation.
- More attention is given to the development of sports at the grass root level and sports for all
- District associations and clubs to be given free access at certain hours at all facilities owned by the government and city/municipality councils
- Schools to have qualified sports teachers and the time for physical education classes to be increased
- New housing estates to be compelled to have proper open space for sports instead of the hardly used children’s playgrounds
- Parents to play a bigger role in encouraging their kids to lead an active lifestyle in sports of the children’s choice.
- All nationally registered sports associations to be given a minimal grant each year to conduct one national level junior championships
- All nationally registered sports associations to be supported to participate in a minimum of one sanctioned international level championships
- Former athletes play a bigger role in running sports associations as well as in coaching and technical roles
- Sports administrators, whose association has not produced any notable international results for the past six years, to step down voluntarily
- A proper audit of the activities and programmes of sports association to be carried out instead of just looking into general meeting and financial reports.
- The National Sports Council (NSC) to stop taking over elite development from the respective sports association and just monitor the progress made.
- State associations to play a bigger role in grassroot development instead of waiting for their respective national bodies to carry it out.
- The overlapping role of the state sports councils and the state youth and sports department to be looked into and streamlined.
- Sports Ministry to look into reviving the Rakan Sukan partnership.
- Sports Commissioners Office to handle problems in associations on merit with an established standard operating procedure (SOP) instead of giving more preference to the elite sports.
Do you have any other wish that we could add to the list?